All about Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). After going through this article, you’ll be able to find your answers as regards DMCA.
What is DMCA?
DMCA stands for Digital Millennium Copyright Act and it is a United States copyright Law since 1998.
President Clinton passed it into law on October 28, 1998. This law became active on October 2000 till date.
Now this law is about copyright infringement and is totally against copyright infringement.
For publishers on the internet, this law is a good law because it helps publishers with original and high quality contents to protect their materials and be confident that it won’t be used elsewhere without their notice.
But to some publishers, it is a very bad law because it does not give them room for them to copy other peoples work without their consent.
Many countries all over the world respects this law and will take off any content that receives a copyright infringement notice.
This law is very active and common on the internet.
Should I Ignore A DMCA Takedown Notice
The answer is No, never ignore a DMCA takedown notice as it can cause harm to your site.
The United States is very serious about this law and will go extra miles to make sure a copyrighted content is removed entirely from your site or business depending on where the infringement may have occurred.
Ignoring a DMCA takedown notice can lead to penalties and might also lead to paying damages to who you infringed on his/her right.
Even if you receive a DMCA message and you’re very sure that you’re the original content owner, don’t ignore the notice still, all you have to do is to file a counter notice to the sender letting them know that you’re the original content maker.
What Should I Do If I Receive A DMCA Takedown Notice?
Whenever you receive a DMCA takedown notice, do not panic. All you have to do is to take your time and check out the infringing urls sent to you by DMCA, also check out images because sometimes people tend to forget that using an image that does not belong to you is also a copyright infringement.
After checking all these, you will now know if truly you were infringing on someone’s rights. If you were infringing on someone’s right, all you have to do is to take the content or image off your site to avoid troubles.
If you were not infringing, all you have to do is to file a counter notice letting them know that you are not infringing on anyone’s right.
Does Google Work With DMCA? (Google and DMCA).
Yes, Google works with DMCA 100% and Google respects their copyright policies that’s why whenever you use someone’s material without their permission, Google permits them to send you a takedown message.
Google is here to serve everyone better and Google is also against copyright infringement.
You can read their Adsense policies to know more.
Can DMCA Takedown Notice Make Google Demote My site?
The answer is yes, if you receive so many takedown notices from DMCA, Google will definitely remove those pages from search engines and this can lead to the website being demoted.
Is Google Against A Music Download Niche?
Yes, Google is against a music download website.
Google really needs everyone to create their own original and high quality content.
If you own a music download niche, you must have the license to post every single song on your blog.
If you do not have a license to post musics on your blog, DMCA will send a takedown notice and it can cause harm to you and your site.
Once you get a license to post all musics on your blog, Google and DMCA won’t have any problem with your blog.
If you want to know if your music website has been receiving copyright complaints, just search the lumen database and you’ll see for yourself.
Why Should I Protect My Site with A DMCA BADGE?
You need a DMCA badge so that people won’t use your content without your permission or steal and sell your content.
IS DMCA Protection Free?
Yes, DMCA protection is absolutely free. There are no charges whether monthly or yearly. See how to sign up for free.
How Do I Write A DMCA Takedown Notice
If you want to write a DMCA take down notice, you will have to write it to the host that is hosting the infringing site.
If you write to the host, the host will now notify the webmaster of the infringing site to either file a counter notice or takedown the copyrighted material.
Are There Web Hosts That Can Protect Me From DMCA?
Yes, out there on the web, some hosts claim to protect websites from DMCA takedown notices. Hosts which claim to protect websites are called offshore hosts.
When they receive a DMCA takedown notice, all they do is to ignore it. They won’t notify the webmaster of the infringing site to takedown the material or file a counter notice.
Some offshore hosts out there are Onion host, shinjiru host, Abelohost, Flaunt7 etc. One thing about an offshore host is that it is costly unlike all other normal hosts.
What Is Offshore Hosting?
Offshore hosting is using a host that will protect you from DMCA and any other copyright law. Offshore hostings are located far from the country of the copyright owner and they claim that DMCA laws do not apply to them.
The main aim of an offshore host is to promote copyright and fight DMCA.
Offshore hosts are located mostly in countries that ignore DMCA e.g. The Netherlands, Luxembourg, Bulgaria, Russia, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia.
What to do if you find Out That a Website under A DMCA Ignored Host is using your content without your permission.
This is one of the most annoying aspects of blogging, when after all your hard works and attempt to provide original and quality contents, then someone will steal and use your materials without your permission.
You can also use the Copyscape tool to check if another website is using your material.
This is what you have to do if you notice this:
- If you notice this, first file a takedown notice to the website using your material, as usual it will be ignored because the website is under a DMCA ignored host.
- So the next step is to send a message to the webmaster of the website. Before sending a message, take pictures of the infringed materials and send them alongside the message. You may be wondering, how can I send a message to the webmaster of a website?. Before sending a message to the webmaster, first send a message to the website’s host.
- You can use this tool to check a websites’s host, whoishostingthis.com
- In every website, there is always a contact page, click on the contact page, you might see their mail address or number, and then what you have to do is to contact them through their number or mail address. If you contact them, plead with them to take down your material, some might decide to take it down while some won’t.
- Now all you have to do is to use a host checking tool to find out the country of the host that is hosting the infringing website, then send a direct copyright notice the country’s copyright agency. If you do this, the country’s copyright agency of that host will notify the host and there will be no other option for the host than to notify the webmaster of the infringing website to takedown the material. Most times, the copyright agency of the DMCA ignored host may not take your message serious.
Will I Get Notified If I Receive A DMCA Takedown Notice?
If you use someone’s content without his/her permission, you will get a DMCA takedown notice and this is how to check if you have received a DMCA takedown notice.
- Make sure your website is connected to Google search console.
Can I Also File A DMCA Complaint With Google?
Yes, you can file a DMCA complaint with Google.
This is the best way so far because Google takes these files seriously and they are quick in responding to copyright complaints. I will show you with images how to file a successful copyright complaint with Google below.
- This is the first step visit support.google.com/legal/troubleshooter1114905. Click on blogger/blogspot.
2. Click on see image,
3. Click on see image,
4. If you are the original copyright owner then click on see image,
5. If it’s an image/video, click on it, if not click on other see image,
6. Please before you click on create request, please read and understand everything before creating a request so that you can create it as Google has instructed. See image,
7. Take your time, fill in evrything as you have read. see image,
8. Then after filling, click on submit to submit.
For you to avoid going through all this a second time, just protect your site with a DMCA badge.